If you are looking for counselling you might be:
- struggling through a difficult life transition - a new baby, a relationship crisis, or a challenging decision
- weighed down by feelings of depression and anxiety
- feeling hijacked by a persistent sense of inadequacy
- dissatisfied with the state of your relationship with your partner, colleagues, or children, but are at a loss as to how to engage differently
In my Vancouver counselling practice, I provide a safe and supportive environment for you to work through - and move beyond - such struggles.
In therapy, we explore the emotional, behavioural, and relational patterns that seem to keep showing up in your life. Everyone brings unique life experiences, personality, and obstacles to therapy. My role is to enter your world and help you encounter your challenges with greater emotional balance and clarity.
What happens in therapy?
We will talk. I listen with a sensitivity that makes this feel different than other conversations. Depending on what is bringing you to therapy, our conversations might involve:
- exploring self-criticism and self-doubt and how this impacts our moods
- processing painful emotions, such as guilt, anger, sadness and shame
- discussing relationship difficulties, including disconnection, ruptures in trust, communication breakdowns, and defensiveness
- helping clarify values, and apply them to meaningful choices and actions in everyday life (even if you experience a fear of making 'wrong decisions')
- helping you navigate those situations that leave you feeling paralyzed, such as break-ups, grief and loss, and infertility
- overcoming the sense of unworthiness that drives perfectionism, burn-out, and avoidance
In my Vancouver counselling practice, I meet with adult individuals and couples. Many of my clients are professionals, creative types, and students who feel lonely, frustrated, or disconnected. I often work with those who are coping with heartbreak and loss, struggling to let go. I also work extensively with parents of young children, individually and as couples. The postpartum and early parenting stages bring intensified challenges, such as relationship struggles, burn-out, and self-doubt.I help my clients navigate this experience with improved connection, self-awareness and authenticity.
Likely, you've tried many times and in many ways to change - perhaps you've read self-help books, taken up meditation and exercise, and reached out to friends. These are all important strategies, but may not address the deeper issues.
My counselling style: curious, compassionate, & pragmatic.
I don't want you to feel better after seeing me, only to fall back into the same patterns after the therapy glow wears off. I will work with you to identify the roots of your patterns, and how some of your self-protective behaviours (that have no doubt been helpful to you) might be also holding you back in your relationships and pursuits. In particular, we will create a different way of experiencing challenging emotional states and responding to self-critical thoughts. This can be difficult work, and I will guide you through this process with warmth and respect (and sometimes humour).
Whether you are working within the confines of a tight budget or looking for a longer term therapeutic process, I am happy to explore your needs with you. If you have started looking for a therapist to work with, take some time to explore my website, read my blog and learn more about me and how I work with people. If my approach seems to fit for you, please reach out to me to see if I might be able to help.